Friday, January 28, 2011

1 Week Post Operation

So it's been one full week since I had my surgery and I'm feeling pretty good.  I had some bad days, Sunday when my blood counts got so low and Thursday I had a lot of pain in my ribs and abdomen when getting up and down.  This morning I woke up feeling really well and had what turned out to be a bad idea that caused me to throw up a few times.  I thought that I might be able to take my large calcium vitamin right before a breakfast of a protein shake.  It ended up preventing everything else I ate from passing through my pouch.  That was around 9:30 and finally at about 4pm I was able to eat some Cream of Wheat that stayed down and have been slowly taking my medicines through out the day.  Mom gave me my blood thinner shot at 11pm.  She's been taking really good care of me this week which I am so thankful for. 

According to the scales here at Mom's I haven't lost any weight yet, which is disappointing.  When the home nurse was here today she was speaking on the phone with the nurse at Dr. Gellar's office who told her that 15 liters of irrigation fluid were used to find where the bleeding was coming from.  I guess that explains the lack of weight loss and the amount of fluid coming out of the drain in my side.  I will just keep drinking my water and walking around Mom's house until I notice some changes. 

3 comments:

  1. No doubt that the fluid is what has slowed the weight loss down. I bet in a couple of weeks you will have dropped quite a bit! I am glad your Mom is taking such good care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the update. Wow, I am impressed with your Mom. She is a great nurse! Giving shots would be so hard! Look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, Mom is really nervous about the shots but she does great. Last nights shot was a little painful and she kind of freaked out. I know I couldn't give them to myself so I'm very glad she's willing to do it for me :)

    ReplyDelete