Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What will I eat?

   Today I'm sorting through the Bariatric and Weight Management binder I was given at my last appointment.  Of particular interest to me today is the "Gastric Bypass Grocery List."   The diet for the first few days after surgery will consist of clear liquids and for two weeks after that will be liquids with the addition of things like pudding and yogurt.  Following that I'll be on a soft mushy diet for 2 weeks.  Here's whats on the grocery list:

Sugar Free popsicles
Sugar Free Jello
100% Fruit Juice
Crystal Light
Flavored Water
Fat free Milk
Sugar Free Pudding
Low Fat/Sugar Yogurt
Oatmeal
Cream of wheat
Instant Grits
Chicken, beef or vegetable broth
Tomato or vegetable juices
Diet V8 Splash
Variety of canned soups such as chicken noodle, beef vegetable, tomato, cream of chicken (blended or strained)
Propel Fitness water
Soy Milk
Decaf coffee and tea
Artificial sweetener
Protein supplement (200 calories or less and at least 20 grams of protein per serving)
Prenatal multivitamins
1200mg calcium citrate + Vitamin D
B complex vitamin
B12 supplement
Iron supplement

Who wants to come have dinner with me?  We'll have some broth and flavored water, bring your appetite! 

   I have been looking at that and thinking of how my shopping list will change after surgery and how I'm going to have to change the way I order food when dining out.  Whew, lots of changes to make!  No more burgers, fries and deep dish pizza.  Hope I'm ready. 

   Further in the binder is page called Gastric Bypass Diet progression, the goal is to eat 60 grams of protein each day once I'm on the regular diet.  Look at all the stuff I have to avoid:

Ice Cream
Doughy Breads
Thick cuts of meat
desserts
milk shakes
fried foods
Dried Fruits

This should be fun.  You may hear me whine from time to time about not eating fried foods.  Of all the things on that list I think that is going to be what I miss the most.

1 comment:

  1. I lived on liquids, soups and protein drinks. You can do it!!! Trust me, you won't be hungry. Really? The hardest part is the few weeks before when you have to severely limit your calories and still have your normal appetite. I'm excited for you! Wish I could have it done again. Two pregnancies and 12 years later...half my weight is back again.
    Candace

    ReplyDelete