Wednesday, December 29, 2010

More Pre-Op Doctors Appointments

Yesterday I had an appointment with a cardiologist.  They asked questions about my health history and that of my family, ran an EKG and cleared me for surgery.  Tomorrow I have an appointment to have pre-operative lab work done followed by a Bariatric Pre-Admission Testing Education class at the hospital.  The class consists of dietary and nursing education, expectations for the hospital stay and post-operative information.  I also have an appointment scheduled for Jan. 11th for pre-surgical pulmonary clearance.  I'm not sure what that involves but I have to take a chest X-ray that they will take tomorrow.  I expect that to be fine as well, I don't seem to have any medical issues other than being over weight. 

The second packet of papers that came in the mail had a list of all my doctors appointments as well as instructions for what I need to do in the weeks and days leading up to my surgery.  Ten to fourteen days before surgery I will follow a Pre-Op Liver Shrinking Diet.  This is done because some patients have a much larger liver than average and if it's big enough it could block exposure to the stomach  during surgery.  Following the diet could help the surgery go more smoothly and lessen the chances of the surgeon having to preform an open surgery as opposed to laproscopically.  The diet is composed of sugar free liquids, including liquid protein mixed with water, two multi-vitamins a day, caffeine free/sugar free drinks with very low amount of carbs and about 500 - 800 calories a day.  It does say I can have lean cuts of meat or sugar free jello if I feel light headed ... well thank goodness!

Two days before surgery I have to do a bowel prep ... Oh Joy!  Day one is clear liquids only; bullion, coffee, tea, plain jello, strained fruit juice, Ginger Ale, Popsicles or jello gelatin pops but nothing red or grape in color.  Day two is clear liquids only plus drink 1 bottle of Magnesium Citrate (that's a laxative if you didn't know) at 6:00pm (Not cherry flavored.)  Then I have to stop eating and drinking everything at midnight or 12 full hours before surgery.  Of course, nothing to eat on the day of surgery. 

Only 23 days left until surgery now.  I guess it's time to start cleaning out my cabinets and cooking or getting rid of anything I won't be able to eat starting 2 weeks before surgery.  That might be a good job for me on New Years Day.  I have cut way back on groceries since I found out that the surgery was approved so I shouldn't have too much stuff to sort through.

2 comments:

  1. I don't want to scare you but yeah, the bowel prep is no fun. But just think of all the rewards that will be coming your way!
    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Candace. I will probably be reaching out to you for advice along the way :)

    ReplyDelete